Self-introduction letter

 Subject: Self-introduction letter 


Dear Professor Blackstone


My name is Justin and I am a first-year student currently studying in SIT under the mechanical engineering program. I previously graduated with a diploma in mechatronics at Temasek Polytechnic. My hobbies are running and taking nature walks now and then to relax. 


Something that might set me apart from others might be that I have had many part-time jobs over the past years. I saw part-time jobs as a way for me to figure out which sector interests me the most. I have worked in multiple sectors, including manufacturing, logistics, F&B, and service lines. I had the opportunity to work under a local robotics company Lionsbot as a technician. During my part-time tenure, I was exposed to technologies such as AI machine learning as well as 3D printing. As a part-time technician, my job scope includes robot testing, troubleshooting, maintenance, and using software to optimize autonomous cleaning. I helped test robots for manufacturing faults as well as conduct onsite troubleshooting for problems. Other than that I also conduct repairs on broken robots and use software to cater cleaning routes to the client's needs. Through this job, I realized the importance of engineers as we provide rapid and accurate skills to solve problems daily. This also cemented my decision to eventually enroll in this course and become an engineer. 


My communication strength is the ability to relate my ideas to my audience. Back when I was in the SAF, I was tasked to give a weekly brief on the idea of total defense to my entire course as part of Total Defence Day. I used examples and articles relating to defense so that my audience could better relate to the idea I was trying to convey. Though I can articulate my ideas to my audience, I often find myself nervous when talking to a large crowd. I hope that through this module, I will be able to learn to be a more confident speaker as well as elevate my communication skills.


Looking forward to an informative trimester ahead.


Best Regards

Justin Tan


Professor, I have provided feedback for Khant, and Zikry (Blogging group) as well as Caleb

Comments

  1. Hi Justin, your letter looks coherent, concise and concrete. I find it unique that you tied your part-time job experiences with your reason to study engineering. Even though you described a lot of your experience, I could see that you tried out different areas to discover your interest for your future career. The flow of the letter is clearly structured and I am able to understand the words you wanted to convey. However, it would be better if you had an another goal in mind for this module to share with us. Finally, I do agree that it feels difficult to talk in front of an audience because I too face the same issue. Let's do our best in this module to build up our public speaking skills, especially for presentations.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Justin, I’m glad to have you in our class. I felt like your introduction was a bit short and could have used more detaIls. Thus, I was not able to tell if your hobbies were significant to you. There could also have been more clarity in regards to why you made the switch from mechatronics to mechanical engineering.

    I liked the fact that you immediately provided your reason for taking on multiple part time jobs, as it is unusual and is sure to raise some eyebrows.The details provided were relevant to elaborate on your decision to make the switch to mechanical engineering and using part time jobs to figure out your interest. Another area of strength was your decision to only include the most relevant experiences from your job as a technician, to prevent the paragraph from being too wordy.

    You provided a relevant example to back up your communication strength, but was absent from your weakness.

    Your letter was well-written and I managed to learn much about you.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Interpretation of the Quote: “Communication skills are an essential component in the education of engineering students to facilitate not just students’ education but also to prepare them for their future careers.” Marc Riemer, Faculty of Engineering, Monash University (2007)

Initial Research Pathway